Les Acadiens forment un peuple vivant en Amérique du Nord, généralement dans les provinces canadiennes du Nouveau-Brunswick, de l’Ïle-du Prince-Édouard, de la Nouvelle-Écosse et du Québec et dans l’État du Maine.
Les Acadiens sont en majorité francophone et catholiques. Ils sont descendants des premiers colons Européens Ètablis en Acadie l’époque de la Nouvelle-France. Durant le Grand Dérangement de 1755, un nettoyage ethnique, les Acadiens furent déracinés par les Britanniquest; la plupart s’établirent en Louisane ils sont connus sous le nom de Cadiens.
Le drapeau acadien
When about forty Acadian delegates attended the conference of the Société Saint-Jean-Baptiste du Québec in 1880, they came up with the idea of an Acadian national convention. The first convention took place the following year and many more were to follow, featuring discussions on language, education, and religion. It was at Memramcook, in 1881, that Acadians chose August 15, Feast of the Assumption, as their national commemoration day. In 1884 they chose Avé Maria Stella to be the national anthem, and approved the design of the national flag.
The Acadian flag was adopted August 15, 1884 at the Second Acadian Convention at Miscouche, Prince Edward Island. Nearly 5,000 delegates from across the Maritime provinces were in attendance. Father Marcel-François Ricard designed the flag and brought it with him to the event. The flag was sewn by Marie Babineau.
Like the flag of France it is blue, white, and red. The gold star in the top left hand corner is Stella Maris (Star of the Sea), there to seek the guidance and protection of the Virgin Mary, the patron saint of the Acadians. The star is set on the blue stripe because blue is the color of Mary. The yellow color of the star represents the Papacy. This color shows the adherence of Acadians to the Roman Catholic Church as well as the important role the Church played in the history of Acadia.
This flag represents Acadians worldwide. The original flag is preserved at Musee Acadien, Université de Moncton, in Moncton New Brunswick.